Snowboarding is a very popular sport. However, in order to master the skills, you need to have some basic knowledge about snowboarding. You must have an idea about the types of board which are used, what are the other items which you might require, how to buy the best board for yourself etc. In the following section of this article, you will be presented with a brief overview on some of the major aspects related to snowboarding. It would offer you some useful tips and guidelines.
How To Snowboard – A Few Useful Tips
Before you go for snowboarding, there are lots of things which need to be taken care of. The following tips might help
- Dress up for Snowboarding
If you are planning for snowboarding, you must ensure that you have sufficient and proper clothing to keep you warm. Besides, you would also require a pair of boots which are meant for snowboarding, and other kinds of safety gear.
The list is quite big; however, here are some of the basic items which you would require
- A snow bib or snow pants
- A snow coat with a comfortable fitting
- Boots for snowboarding. These are the special types of boots, which can be easily strapped into the snowboard.
- You need a crash helmet
- Snow Gloves
- Goggles which are designed for snowboarding or skiing.
These are some of the basic items which you would require for snowboarding; besides, you can also consider a stomp pad. This is a special kind of grip pad, where you can temporarily place your back foot.
- Pickup a Snowboard
There are different types of snowboards available. Some designed for general use while others for specific purposes. Here are some of the different types of snowboards for you to choose from
- Technical or Freestyle Boards: These boards are shorter in terms of length; however, they are quite wide in terms of space. These are quite flexible boards which allow you to have a better control and let you make precise movements. The technical or freestyle boards can be ideal for the beginners as they are quite flexible and responsive.
- Carve or Alpine Boards: An Alpine board is much thinner and longer compared to the freestyle ones and they do not offer the same amount of flexibility as the technical boards do. If you are looking for high speed, then these boards can be the perfect option for you. You can have great downhill snowboard experience with these boards.
- Free Ride or All – Mountain Boards: Basically, these are the standard boards which you would find in the market. These boards are great if you are looking for speed and downhill slope turnings.
- Check your Weight and Height
This is one important aspect which you need to consider. You need to make sure that they boar you buy is proportionate to your body weight and your height. The basic rule of thumb is that the board you have purchased should come up to the height of your nose or chin when you stand on one end of the board. If it doesn’t, then the board is too short for you and the other way round will be too long for you.
- The Binding Types
Usually there are 2 different types of bindings available; speed entry bindings and strap bindings.
- Speed Entry Binding: The speed entry binding has a hinge on the back of the boot which makes sliding in your foot easier. These are very common types of bindings; however, compared to the strap binding, they are bit expensive
- Strap Binding: When it comes to snowboard bindings, these are the most commonly used bindings. The strap bindings come with a base meant for the base of the boot, and they also have a set of synthetic straps.
If you are planning to go for snowboarding and you are thinking how to snowboard, then you might find these tips to be quite handy. These are basically the preparations you would require before you went for snowboarding.
What Size Snowboard Do I Need – An Important Aspect To Consider
If this is what you are thinking you must know that the length of the snowboard which you have selected will depend on the weight of your body and the kind of riding you are planning for. Earlier, when it came to selecting the right size of a snowboard, all you were required to do was to place the snowboard beside you and if your chin hits the top of the board, then it was a perfect fit. This is one of the ways to determine the size of the snowboard; however, it is important to remember that along with your height, your weight also plays a very important role. Besides, as already mentioned, the type of riding you are planning for is another important aspect which needs to be taken into consideration.
If you are planning for a free riding, then you would require boards which are slightly longer. These boards would offer more speed and stability. If you are looking for a freestyle tool, then the smaller ones would be the perfect options as they are much easier to handle when it comes to maneuvering and spinning in the half-pipe or terrain
When you go to buy a snowboard, you will find sizes for all the different types of snowboards available with the seller. One important thing which you need to remember is the fact that the length of the board plays a very important role. Always select those snowboards which are proportionate to your height. It lets you control the board easily and also helps you to maneuver around smoothly.
The width of the board is another important aspect you need to look into. You need to make sure that the board is wide enough for you to keep both your feet completely on it. Make sure that the board you have purchased is wide enough to accommodate both your feet comfortably and they don’t remain out of the board. Even if a slight portion of your heels is sticking out of the board, it can jeopardize the entire ride.
Therefore, both the length as well as the width of the board plays a very important role. In order to make sure that you have the best riding experience, you must take care of both these issues. They are equally important.
Few Snowboard Tricks You Might Benefit From
Snowboard tricks are maneuvers or aerials which are performed on a snowboard in competitions or just for fun. Usually these aerials are performed on different types of obstacles like half pipes, jumps, handrails, hips and on the snow’s surface. Here are some of the tricks
- Backside and Frontside: When it comes to aerial maneuvers both backside and frontside helps in identifying the direction towards which a spin is being rotated. For instance, a rider who is performing frontside, his body would be rotated in an anti-clockwise direction. His shoulders would be opened so that while he is going forward, the front portion of his body goes forward during the first phase of his jump. A rider who is performing backside spin would rotate the body in a clockwise direction and would close his shoulders so that it is his backside which goes forward during the jump.
When it comes to the tricks which are on various obstacles, there backside and frontside refers to the direction from where the obstacle is being approached by the snowboard. When a rider is approaching the rail from the rail’s left side would be his frontside because it is his body’s front side that would face the rail
On the other hand, when a rider is approaching from the right side, his backside would face the rail. A rider performing frontside spin on a rail would rotate the body in a clockwise direction and then land. For a backside spin the rider would rotate the body in an anticlockwise direction.
- Fakie and switch-stance
Fakie and switch-stance, these two terms are interchangeably used in snowboarding; however, there are differences between these two. When it comes to switching, it refers to the tricks performed by a snowboarder while he is travelling backwards. A snowboarder can also be riding switch when he is not performing any stance. The tip of the board which is in a leading position during this point of time is called the nose.
Few Useful Snowboard Tips For You
If you are a beginner, then you might find these snowboard tips quite handy
- The First Run: It is recommended that you start at the bottom of the run. At the bottom, there is no need for you to worry about generating excess speed, much higher than what you would be able to handle. It becomes quite easy when it comes to controlling. Be in a seated position while facing down the hill. Next, stand up and make sure that your front hand is pointed down the line. This will help to turn the board down and you will start to move. When you ride in the flats, stop the movement. Repeat this over and over again until you get used to it
There is one more thing which you need to practice, which is,
- The First Turn: After you have mastered the skills of controlling the speed and to stop, you are ready for the first turns. You need to strap in the same manner as you did earlier and then allow yourself to move across the run while you are on the edge of your heel. Stop the movement and point the board downhill and try using your toes to stop.
The first snowboarding experience is something which everybody remembers. It can be one of the most frustrating or rewarding days you have ever had. It is true that you won’t achieve perfection at one go; however, if you keep on practicing, you will most definitely achieve your ambition.
Tips For Snowboarding For a Better Experience
Talking about tips for snowboarding, it might include tips on how to buy the best snowboards, on how to maintain them and of course, how to use them.
When it comes to buying snowboard, there are quite a few aspects which need to be taken care of. Here are some of them
- The Type of Terrain
The type of terrain on which you are planning to use the snowboard plays a very important role. Different types of boards are available for different terrains. You can find snowboards for
- All Mountain
- Riding Level
The level of the rider also plays a very important role when it comes to selecting a snowboard. You can find different snowboards which are designed for riders of different levels.
- For the Beginners Level: If you are new to snowboarding, then you will find boards which are precisely designed for the beginners. These boards are perfect when it comes to mastering the skills of turning, riding, baby jumping, stopping and etc
- For Intermediate Level: These snowboards would be appropriate for you, if you have crossed the beginner level and ready to learn the tricks and other complicated movements
- For Advanced Level: These boards are meant for those who have gained expertise in snowboarding and have mastered all the tricks
Apart from these factors, like the length of the board, its width should also be taken into consideration
Learn To Snowboard – Enjoy The Ride
If you are planning to learn to snowboard, then the first thing which you need to do is to watch others performing. This would help you develop some idea. Then you can go can go ahead and purchase one board for you. Make sure you bought the best one which would match your level. It’s now time to hit the terrain. You may join also join a training school.
How To Snowboard For Beginners – Why is it a Must Know
If you are wondering how to snowboard for beginners, then as mentioned, the first thing you need to do is to watch others. Then when you have a bough a board for yourself, practice the basics like how to take a start, how to stop and make turns. These are the stuffs which you need to learn during the early phase of your training.
These are a few basic ideas about snowboarding. However, in order to learn, you need to go out with your board and start tumbling over.